I wanted to motorize the Astro-3 [Lidl] mount and as I had a simple EQ1 motor for the RA lying around I started with this motor.

1. Motorized RA with Simple EQ1 motor

The EQ1 motor is powered by a 9 Volt battery and the speed can be adjusted via a potmeter.
As you can read on the website of Robin Leadbeater the EQ1 motor has several drawbacks.
For example: the motor is clamped on the RA worm shaft which blocks manual adjustment of the RA.
Quite some time ago I had already solved this problem by applying a one-way bearing, which allows to manually adjust the aim in one direction without the need to dismount the motor from the worm shaft.

I followed the modification instructions on Robins page and I did the following:

  1. Installed a MAKE contact pushbutton switch to set the motor at full speed [2x sidereal] without disturbing the setting of the potmeter.
  2. Installed a BREAK contact pushbutton switch to stop the motor and thus let the star drift to the West.
  3. Gave the motor a house of its own: an 'electricity' junction box, bought in the local DIY shop.
  4. Connected the motor and the control box with a flexible cord.

The motor - inside the grey/red junction box - on the Astro-3 mount.
You can just see the one-way ball bearing connecting the motor with the worm shaft.
The flexible - telephone - cord leads to the control box.

I replaced the small declination retaining bolt by a 10cm long M8 bolt with knob, 2 nuts and a wingnut.
I used an L-shaped bracket - from my goodies box - to fasten the motor.

The motor inside the electricity junction box: I used the original bolts and nuts to fasten it.
Also the L-shaped bracket is clearly visible.

The control box: on the left hand side you see the Full Speed [2x sidereal] and the No Tracking push buttons.
Just below the red LED you see a small dark pin: the speed control [via a variable resistor, a.k.a. potmeter].
North/South is functionless as I have the one-way bearing installed.
The 2 lower knobs are nuts to fasten the PCB to the house.
After some fiddling with the variable resistor I now have the correct sidereal speed for the RA, which is very nice of course.

The control box with 9 Volt battery and Full Speed/No Tracking buttons.
The box is closed with a snugly fitting piece of wood for easy - no tools - access to the battery.

Oh: I am sure that this mount will show a huge Periodic Error [BTW: which I succesfully handled on my TAL-2M telescope] and will not be fit for serious Long Exposure astrophotography.

But for Solar imaging this motorized Astro-3 mount performs well, and my Coronado PST often takes a ride, especially on holidays: I use this mount as my travel mount.